RF DC/DC Converters
Texas Instruments Incorporated added a duo of new RF DC/DC switching converters to its industry leading portfolio of RF power management integrated circuits (ICs). The new National LM3242 and LM3243 regulators are adaptive power supply ICs that minimize power consumption of the RF power amplifier (PA) across all operating conditions. Together with the National LM3241, the ICs extend battery life and reduce heat dissipated in battery-powered 2G, 3G and 4G long term evolution (LTE) portable devices such as smartphones and tablets. For more information, samples and an evaluation board, visit http://www.ti.com/rfpower-pr.
Operation of the radio circuitry in portable devices accounts for a significant amount of total power consumption – easily 30-percent or more. RF PAs are among the least efficient components in today’s mobile systems, typically driven at maximum power regardless of the power actually needed. TI’s new LM3242 and LM3243 dynamically adjust the power delivered to the PA based on how much power is actually needed, saving a significant amount of energy.
The LM3242 and LM3243 are unique from traditional DC/DC switching converters as they are designed to meet stringent RF performance requirements and enable dynamic optimization of the PA output power, saving up to 50-percent or more battery current consumption and reducing the PA heat by up to 30 degrees C. Both ICs achieve 95-percent efficiency and feature multiple modes of operation to maximize efficiency for all battery and output conditions. The LM3242 is compatible with 3G and 4G applications and features a very small 9-mm square solution size. The LM3243 includes a unique active current assist and analog bypass mode, which enables support for 2G, 3G and 4G applications while maintaining output regulation and minimal solution size.
TI is showcasing the new RF DC/DC switching converters in booth 8A84 (Hall 8) at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, Feb. 27 to Mar. 1. For more information please visit http://www.ti.com/mwc2012.
Key features and benefits of the LM3242 and LM3243 RF DC/DC switching converters
- Variable, dynamically-adjustable output voltage saves energy and reduces heat generation.
- Automatic, smart transition between modes of operation optimizes efficiency during all load and battery conditions.
- LM3242 supports up to 1-A and is compatible with 3G and 4G applications.
- LM3243 supports up to 2.5-A and is compatible with 2G, 3G and 4G applications.
- High switching frequency, unique operation modes and chip scale package reduce solution size and save cost.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors, the LM3242 is offered in 9-bump and the LM3243 in 16-bump micro SMD packages. Suggested retail price is $0.76 and $0.95, respectively, in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI’s power management portfolio:
- Order samples and an evaluation module of the new DC/DC converters: http://www.ti.com/lm3242-pr and http://www.ti.com/lm3243-pr
- Get more information on all of TI’s RF power management ICs: http://www.ti.com/rfpower-pr
- Ask questions and share knowledge with other engineers in the Power forum in the TI E2E™ Community: http://www.ti.com/powerforum-pr